Tuesday 13 December 2011

Kek Batik @ Chocolate Biscuit Cake


I tried this kek batik for the first time when I was in Kota Bharu. You can get it in the market or some malay restaurants.

I always find this kek batik in particular very unique. I was young teenager then when I tried this and always looking forward to buy more when ever I visited Kota Bharu again. I always wonder whats in the kek batik that makes it different from an ordinary cake.

So I decided to check on the website, and there I found my answer. I was surprised it was really simple to make one. As I been baking cakes all this while, this is way easier than any cakes I have bake.



Kek Batik - It has a soft and fudgy texture and alittle crunchiness from the biscuits.

Its not exactly a cake where you start beating the eggs until fluffy, or sieved the flour as its flourless, or even need to bake it in the oven.  All you need to do is form thick custard from butter, chocolate bars / cocoa powder, sugar, condensed milk and eggs. Stir them on the stove for around 15mins. Add on the marie biscuits ( break into half or smaller pieces) into the custard and pour them into the baking tray. Refrigerate it for at least 2 hours.
This can be very sweet, as it has combination of sugar plus condensed milk.  Most recipes, used up more than half the tin of condensed milk. I decided to twit on my recipe as i replaced the caster sugar to brown sugar and used only ¼ of the condensed milk. Simple isn’t it??


I am sharing the recipe which I found online.

Ingredients
100g (3/4 cup) milo *
25g (1/4 cup) cocoa powder *
125ml (1/2 cup) boiling water
190g (3/4 cup) butter, cut into large chunks
200g (1/2 tin) sweetened condensed milk
110g (1/2 cup) white granulated sugar
5 eggs, lightly beaten
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
250g (3/4 packet) Marie biscuit

** I replaced milo and cocoa powder with dark cooking chocolate 100g instead.
** sugar I changed to fine brown sugar
** if you prefer less sweet, I suggest use only ¼ tin of condensed milk

What are you waiting for, go try this out. I am sure you will love it as much as I do.  

No comments: