Monday 20 August 2012

A half day with the residents in Siloam House, Karak

Hey.... well its been awhile since myself  (Irlene) posted anything here. I am back again. Busy with the workloads. Long weekend now and here is one I would love to share with everyone - Bayer Co. Malaysia colleagues with the residents in Siloam House.

Who are they in Siloam?
The residents from Siloam are adult age from 18 - 50 years old who has intellectual disabilities and do not have any home because some of them have been neglected and rejected by family, orphans or those with aging parents who can no longer take care of them. These residents are given guidance and basic training in the activities of daily living such as self-help skills, personal hygiene, forming relationships and becoming a member of the family.



 My personal experience with Siloam House - I was assigned to organize and lead the Bayer team to run a charity program, venue picked - Karak. I was reading the site to understand more about the home, however I still believe I would love to see more myself than just read. Drove all the way to Siloam and fell in love with this place immediately, good getaway from the city, fresh air, well maintained farm - limau kasturi, durians, mangosteen, papayas, avocado and many more, river side with well kept guest house (you can go canoing too! ) and most importantly the warmth welcome from everyone in Siloam House. A little tea with Madam Lim (the lead of the home), showed me around and introduced the residents. I was touched and proud to see they are being well taken care by the care takers and seeing how these care takers dedicate their time and love for these residents. The residents are trained to do house chores - learn to prepare lunch, sweeping the floor, gardening (they maintained the big farm!) etc. I was so amazed to know that the residents pluck the limau kasturi, pickled, dried and some squeeze the juice and then bottled / pack it to sell in Karak town or church members. There and then I told myself I will spread the goodness of the home and get as many donations I can for the residents.



On the 14th of July, 50 people from Bayer and some of the family members went up to Siloam House bringing all the donations and spent some time with the residents. Mann, i have to say the residents were all so excited to see us, and all the donations that we brought with us. They talked , they sang, they were jumping of joy when musics are played.


Well, if you happen to be in Karak do drop by and pay a visit to Siloam House or a short getaway from the busy town in Siloam guesthouse by the river - in return you may give your donations in kind. Little games can cheer them up, a little sing a long can boost their spirits, a little contribution can fulfill their daily live quality, and most importantly these residents will always remember the little time spent with them forever.
You may also visit the website: http://www.siloam-house.org/web/index.html

1 comment:

suresh said...

Great work,good contribution :)